Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Dorothy I. Height

Greetings all,

I have to begin today by addressing the passing of the phenomenal Dorothy I. Height. She passed yesterday at the ripe age of 98 years old. While I am saddened to see the departure of a women of such strength and character, I am ecstatic that we were ever graced with her presence in the first place.

When many of us think of doing service for our community or country, we seldom come close to even fathoming the level of service that was performed by the late Dorothy Height. During her lifelong fight for civil rights, she played an influential part in every publicized battle (Desegregation of schools, the bombing of the Birmingham church in which four girls died, organizer of the March on Washington, etc.) and she stood up in some battles that the public had no idea were even being fought.

Yesterday, the Country, the world, the movement, and the ladies of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., lost a phenomenal woman who was known for saying "I want to be remembered as someone who used herself and anything she could touch to work for justice and freedom...I want to be remembered as one who tried."

....How will you be remembered?

No comments:

Post a Comment